Online courses are beneficial to businesses in more ways than you know. It is also a timely tool to use – especially now that the workforce is borderless and limitless. As the workforce becomes more scattered geographically, the use of online tools become more necessary than before.
The use of the Internet allows us to communicate even across distances. Beyond that, we are able to provide employees with one training course regardless of their current location and time zone. This is why corporations should seriously consider how they can maximize elearning in their training program. It is a vital tool that will not only effectively update the knowledge and skills of their distributed workforce, it will also provide the company with a connection with their employees.
To emphasize the importance of online courses to a distributed workforce, here are the benefits that you can expect from it.
- It lowers training costs. If not for the Internet, you would be required to bring everyone to one place so they can be trained together. Either that or you have to send the instructor or trainer to the distributed workforce so they can be trained there. This means you have to incur travel expenses and the board and lodging costs of the participants. There may even be times when you need to lease a bigger place that can accommodate the whole group. This will not be a problem if the training happens through online courses.
- It expedites the training process. Getting everyone together and arranging all the logistics will take time. That means the training will take longer. Instead of waiting until everyone is gathered for the training, an online training program can take place as soon as the learning material is ready.
- It minimizes the disruption of the business process. Since online courses eliminate the need to travel, participants do not have to disrupt their work routine. Learning can happen right in their work area and it allows them to go back to their usual task after the training is completed.
- It can happen even without an instructor. If you set up an audio/video training program, you can use it to train the workforce even without an instructor. This is even true for slide presentations with a comprehensive audio element.
- It becomes accessible anytime and anywhere. If you create a course that does not require the presence of an instructor in real-time, it makes training all the more accessible. You can simply post the material online and it can be accessed by employees as needed.
- It allows personalized training. This is true for a global workforce. Remote work allows business to hire people from different nations. Online courses make it easier for the training to happen even in the native tongue of the workforce. It is easier to translate the training material into different dialects thanks to the various tools available online. It will make the training all the more effective. Not only that, you can use images and elements that a specific culture can relate to.
- It permits a customized assessment. Since personalized training becomes possible, the same can be expected from the assessment. You can provide different forms of assessment as it applies to the diverse workforce.
- It strengthens the internal communication within the company. If you are training managers from different areas or countries, the online training will open up the internal communication among them. By letting them work together through the course, they can be introduced to each other and help start a support system that could hopefully boost their productivity.
- It makes follow-ups easier. Since there is an open internal communication, follow ups will also be easier to do. Online communication is far easier than the alternatives and can be done in groups when necessary.
- It paves the way for future updates and courses. That one course that you will create can pave the way for future updates and courses that will improve the distributed workforce in the future. This will help minimize the time, effort and money that will be spent creating future training materials.
Online courses will bring all these benefits of a distributed workforce so take the time to analyze how it can be incorporated within the company.
Image courtesy of jscreationzs for FreeDigitalPhotos.net